Montgó Residents’ Association - APMJ
Asociación Propietarios Montgó Jávea
Montgó Residents’ Association

Next Meeting

Next Meeting

The AGM will be in spring 2019




Montgó Morning

Montgó Morning

Members, non-members and guests are welcome to attend the Montgó Mornings to meet your neighbours. Next one: 5 February 2019



Neighbourhood Watch

Contact Gillian/webmaster if you want to be part of the Montgó NHW WhatsApp group.





Happy New Year! Beware, processionary caterpillars are already in evidence in the conifers, some already walking. DANGEROUS for dogs and small children. 




Miscellaneous Information

Murder in Alcalali.... click for details

Stop Domestic Violence: website

National helpline number 016 [free and untraceable] E-mail:

Consumer Rights in Spain: click here for details

Change of Law re Expat Wills - details

Rubbish disposal

Large items of rubbish/furniture etc. can be deposited at the Eco Park, Camí Les Sorts, which runs through the middle of the valley between the Cabo La Nao road and the Jávea to Benitachell road [between the water treatment plant and the APASA dog pound]. You may deposit all types of household waste and rubbish free of charge to all residents of Jávea.  Open Monday to Saturday: September-May: 09.00-13.30 and 16.00-18.00; June-August: 09.00-13.30 and 16.00-20.00 . For more info:

If items are too large for you to transport there is a number you can call Cespa for free collection: 900 102 149.

UK Nationals living abroad concerning Winter Fuel Allowance. Previously it was not possible to claim WFA here in Spain unless it was already being paid to the individual in UK. This is no longer the case and the department of pensions is publishing the claim form on its website on 4 September.

Click here for information on Winter Fuel Allowance.

New Residence Ruling: The new rules were introduced on 10th July this year, and are backdated to cover applications from 24th April 2012. Applicants now need to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves and any dependents, and may be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance. Click here for details.

British Embassy warns home owners to ensure they rent properties in accordance with Spanish law

Home owners who rent out their properties to holidaymakers are being warned they could face huge fines unless they comply with Spanish law. The British Embassy has become aware of a number of cases where home owners have been fined up to €30,000 for letting properties without the correct permits. 
The Embassy has published advice for home owners who rent out their properties or are considering doing so, which can be found on the UKinSpain website:
Short-term lets
The regulations on letting tourist apartments [apartamentos turisticos] and holiday homes [viviendas vacacionales] vary by region. If you are planning on making a financial return by renting out your existing property, or buying one to let, you are recommended to seek independent legal advice and check the local licensing laws with your local town hall [Ayuntamiento]. 
This is particularly important in Catalonia, the Balearic Islands and Canary Islands where the rental of holiday properties on a short-term basis is strictly regulated. The authorities in these areas are cracking down on home owners who rent out their properties to tourists [particularly through online adverts] without complying with Spanish law.
If you own or are planning to buy an apartment which is part of a Comunidad de Propietarios [Committees of property owners who are responsible for the management of communal areas of apartment buildings/complexes], you should also check whether there are any rules that prohibit or restrict short-term letting.
Long-term lets
Owners who rent out properties on a long-term basis are generally not required to apply for a special licence. However, it is worth seeking professional advice to make sure that you are complying with Spanish legislation and that you are using the correct rental contract. 
There are different types of contracts depending on how long the property is being let for, such as arriendos de vivienda which are for a minimum of five years, and arriendos de temporada which are generally for one year or less. You can get copies of these contracts from tobacconists [estancos].
Owners of properties should also be aware that whether or not you are resident in Spain, you will need to declare rental income to the Spanish tax authorities. Home owners may wish to seek advice from a professional tax adviser [asesor/gestor].
Managing a property rental
You may want to consider hiring a Spanish letting agent to assist with finding tenants, drawing up rental contracts and managing the property on your behalf.

Further information

Advice on renting out property in Spain on the UKinSpain website.

FAQs on letting property in Spain [in Spanish] from the Sociedad Pública de Alquiler [Public Rental Society].
Lists of local English-speaking lawyers can be found on the consular pages of the UKinSpain website.